May I start out by stating – ‘No It Doesn’t’. I do NOT subscribe to the idea that you need to spend hours pumping iron. None of us have the time. But, as we will delve into in future posts, what is sufficient to start? If I want to move forward – what do I do?
Before we get started – please note: You CANNOT exercise your way out of a bad diet.
So, let’s start with the person just starting out.
- Walk. You see everyone with Fitbits or other step tracking devices. Get out there and get those 10,000 steps (or more). It’s kind of fun to see if you can increase your step counts! Make it a contest – with yourself (or with friends – you can interact on FaceBook). I walk a lot in the morning – and, sometimes run. I prefer the walk as I can just be more present and watch my surroundings change with the seasons. Check out www.thewalkingsite.com if you are a beginner – or even a bit more experienced.
- Use your body weight to get exercise. If you don’t have weights or bands, use your body weight for extra resistance. Do push-ups (modified if necessary); squats; planks; pull-ups (modified if necessary – to be fair, I am still trying to do my first un-modified pull-up; but, it is a goal).
- If you have resistance bands – great! I will post some amazing exercises with bands. What I love about them is that you can take them with you when you travel. But, why wait for me – check out this website: www.resistancebandtraining.com.
- Yoga or Pilates. No fancy equipment. Perhaps a yoga mat (if you have one). My favorite program is PiYo (from www.BeachBody.com/PiYo). But, you don’t have to have a specific routine – I loved doing yoga on the beach last week. I was so refreshed because yoga is about breathing and presence.
For the person who wants to ratchet it up… right now, I would suggest the following resources.
- www.runnersworld.com. I enjoy running – and this magazine provides great tips.
- www.fitnessrxwomen.com. Great ideas for weight lifting and health. I often find topics for blog posts on this site.
- www.BeachBody.com. For a nominal membership fee – you can find great workouts that you can watch on your computer. And, if you like the work-out, you can buy the series. Tell them that I sent you!!!
Our bodies were made to move – so get out there and work up a sweat!!