I love potato salad – the wonderful flavor of potato with lots of mayo and salty goodness. But, for awhile – I couldn’t eat it – I was either afraid of the carbs – or, the fat!
Here is a vegetable based adaptation using cauliflower instead of potatoes – and, cutting the amount of mayonnaise.
So, here it is…. my ‘Faux-Tato’ Salad
1 medium head of cauliflower, broken into small florets
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely diced
4 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
1 celery stalk, finely diced
3 Tbsp. capers, rinsed well and coarsely chopped
¼ c. thinly sliced radishes
¼ c. dill pickle, finely diced
1/3 c. mayonnaise (you can use Greek yogurt, if desired)
1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1/8 tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. salt – or, to taste
- In a large saucepan, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the cauliflower florets and cook, covered for about 5 – 8 minutes, or until al dente.
- Drain, rinse in cold water and place in an ice water bath to cool down quickly. Pat dry.
- Place the carrot, scallions, celery, capers, radishes and pickles in a large bowl.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and mustard, and pour on the vegetables in the large bowl. Mix together – then add the pepper.
- Add the cauliflower and egg and mix well.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Then, add salt – to taste.
Nutrition Information (per serving) : 155 kCal; 5 g Protein (12%); 12 g Fat (69%); 8g Carbohydrate (19%).