Well – I just got back from vacation. It was wonderful – but, I also brought back 5 pounds. Even though I walked over 6 miles a day – 5 pounds! I really wanted to kick the scale out the window.
Yes, I know that it might be water weight. But, it could also be imbibing and eating more carbs weight. Heavy sigh.
So, I wasn’t about to succumb to one of my favorite breakfast foods (hash browns). But, is there a Primal / Paleo / Keto substitute?
Thankfully, yes! Courtesy of Maria Emmerich’s cookbook – ‘Quick and Easy Ketogenic Cooking’. These are wonderful and incredibly healthy (even if you are not on a low-carb eating plan).
Healthy Hash Browns
4 cups shredded cabbage
4 large eggs
½ cup chopped onion, leeks or scallions
1 tsp. fine sea salt
½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
Additional fresh herbs and spices (optional)*, to your liking.
1 Tbsp. coconut oil or unsalted butter, plus more as needed, for frying
1. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients (except oil).
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
3. Scoop up ¼ of the cabbage mixture, place in the hot skillet, and form into a 3 “ circle (either with a spatula or spoon). If your skillet is large enough, add a second hash brown to the skillet, (AND THIS IS IMPORTANT) – do not overcrowd the pan.
4. Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about 5 minutes. When firm, slip and cook for another 3 – 5 minutes, until the second side is golden brown.
5. Repeat with remaining mixture, adding more oil to the skillet as needed. Remove from the heat and serve.
*Cilantro, thyme, cumin, fenugreek leaves, cayenne, parsley – etc.