I love this salad. The tartness of the apple plays well with the spiciness of the shrimp and the coolness of the salad dressing. A great light summer meal!
Shrimp and Apple Salad
12 ounces shrimp (preferably Gulf shrimp)*
2 ½ tsp. curry powder
1 Tbsp. tapioca starch
2 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil (divided)
3 cups baby spinach, roughly chopped
10 sprigs cilantro
½ cup carrots, shredded
¾ cup red cabbage, shredded
1 green apple, sliced (Granny Smith works well)
2 Tbsp. cashews, toasted and chopped
- Place apple, spinach, and red cabbage and carrots in a large bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of the Creamy Coconut-Lime Vinaigrette (see recipe below). Toss to combine and eason with salt and pepper.
- Rinse shrimp and pat dry with a paper towel. Add shrimp, curry powder, and tapioca starch to a bowl Drizzle with the 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining 1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to hot pan and cook shrimp 3-4 minutes on each side, or until crisp on the outside and opaque in the center. Don’t overcook – they can get rubbery if overcooked.
- Thinly slice scallion at an angle. Destem cilantro and roughly chop the leaves.
- Divide spinach & green apple salad between plates. Top with toasted cashews and the curried shrimp. Garnish with scallion and cilantro. Drizzle with the vinaigrette to taste.
Creamy Coconut Lime Vinaigrette
6 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
6 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 1/3 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
4 teaspoon lime juice
Salt (to taste)
Pepper (to taste)
Pinch cayenne – or to tate
Combine all creamy coconut-lime vinaigrette ingredients in a mini blender. Mix until smooth.